LOVELL, SMITH LAUNCH GREATER SHEPPARTON POPULATION POLICY TASKFORCE
The biggest challenge Victoria faces today is managing population growth, including how that creates new jobs and protecting the way we live, and the Victorian Coalition is developing a population policy to address these significant issues for the next 30-plus years.
To formulate a comprehensive long-term policy for Victoria until at least the year 2050, Shadow Parliamentary Secretary to the Leader, Population Policy and Housing Affordability Tim Smith has created a state-wide Victorian Population Policy Taskforce.
To break away from Labor’s blinkered, city-centric style of management, Mr Smith has also asked a number of regional MPs to chair localised taskforces so that the specific needs of the regions are represented and addressed in the policy.
Mr Smith has appointed Member for Northern Victoria Wendy Lovell chair of the Greater Shepparton Population Taskforce, which they launched today.
“This local taskforce will work with the Victorian Population Taskforce to create a blueprint for how to grow the Greater Shepparton region by identifying the issues facing the community from population growth, and harnessing the knowledge of the local community and a panel of independent experts,” Ms Lovell said.
Ms Lovell said the taskforce will investigate how the Coalition can assist, incentivise and work with local councils, communities and business to manage population growth and develop the Greater Shepparton region, including addressing jobs, infrastructure and the way we live.
“The Coalition’s position is that Victoria needs to become a state of cities and not a city state, and Victoria needs to regionalise its growth and not just focus on Melbourne alone,” Ms Lovell said.
“Victoria cannot continue to grow the way we have the past 30 years for the next 30 years.”
The members of the Greater Shepparton Population Taskforce are:
• Wendy Lovell (Chair) – Member for Northern Victoria
• Cr Dinny Adem – Mayor, Greater Shepparton City Council
• Cr Kim O’Keeffe – Deputy Mayor, Greater Shepparton City Council
• Cr Seema Abdullah – Councillor, Greater Shepparton City Council
• Sam Birrell – CEO, Committee For Greater Shepparton
• Rob Priestley – Chair, Committee For Greater Shepparton
• Peter Ryan – Board Chair, Goulburn Valley Health
• Jenny Manuel – Principal, Wilmot Road Primary School (2016 Victorian Education Excellence Award winner – Outstanding Primary Principal)
• Leigh Findlay – Director, CAF Consulting
• Peter Hall – Orchardist, MJ Hall and Sons
• Peter Hill – General Manager, Kreskas Bros Transport
• Frank Whitford – former chief executive, Mitre 10 Group
Greater Shepparton (and all Victorian) residents can have their say on population growth and how they would like their government to respond by visiting www.vicpopulation.com.au.